OMG – Two ingredients and 30 minutes to the best pumpkin cake you will ever have. My cousin Zach, who loves anything pumpkin, said so. All the credit goes to blogger Big Red Kitchen for her Two- Ingredient Pumpkin Cake. For my own twist, I added pumpkin pie spice to the batter and changed the cider glaze to a special spiced buttered rum glaze using my favorite Black Spiced #KrakenRum. Either way you can’t go wrong. It is a great cake to make ahead of time for parties. Let it chill overnight and cut into squares. For parties it is easy to serve individual portions in cupcake holders.
The Buttered Rum Glaze is amazing. Blend browned butter, spiced rum, cinnamon, cream, a touch of lemon juice and powdered sugar for a glaze worthy of this cake!
Amazing Two-Ingredient Pumpkin Cake with Buttered Rum Glaze
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1 15 ounce can 100% pure pumpkin not pie filling
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup Kraken™ Black Spiced Rum or use apple cider for non-alcholic version
- 3 tablespoons cream or milk
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl mix cake mix, pumpkin filling and pumpkin pie spice using a hand mixer or a stand mixer. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Pour batter into a greased 7 x 11 inch baking dish. Bake for 28 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let cool completely before frosting.
- To make the glaze, melt 4 tablespoons of butter in a small skillet until golden brown. Watch closely so it does not burn. Take it off the heat as soon as you start to see some brown color.
- Put the powdered sugar in small bowl. Add the rum, milk, lemon juice and cinnamon to the powered sugar and mix until it is smooth and lump-free. Add the slightly cooled, melted butter and mix in thoroughly. Add a touch more rum if it needs to be thinned out a bit, or add a bit more powdered sugar if it is too thin. Frost the cake.
- I prefer this cake chilled, but it can be served room temperature.