Biscoff Shortbread Bars are the best! Biscoff cookies are beloved by airline travelers who have enjoyed the crispy gingerbread-ish butter cookie with their inflight coffee. Trader Joe’s makes a wonderful Biscoff-like spread called Speculoos Cookie Butter (click here to buy). Speculoos is the generic term for this cookie . Any Biscoff-type spread will do. You can buy the original Biscoff Spread by Lotus here too.
The simplicity of the shortbread paired with the rich spices of the Speculoos Cookie Butter make these dessert bars just fabulous. They are very easy, and require only a few ingredients. I hope you give these a try. They are perfect for family gatherings and lunchboxes!
They are simple to make. Make a base layer by pressing half of the shortbread dough in a prepared 9 x 9 pan. Bake for 12 minutes.
Spread the Speculoos Cookie Butter on top of the baked base. Crumble the remaining shortbread dough on top and bake for 20 minutes @325 degrees F.
Chill overnight in the fridge and cut into bars.
The Best Biscoff Shortbread Bars
- 1 cup 2 sticks butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1 14.1 oz jar Trader Joe’s Speculoos Cookie Butter (or similar product)
- Preheat the oven to 325F and grease a 9×9 in pan. Line with parchment paper with enough overhang for handles.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, mix the butter and sugars until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes on med-high speed. Add the vanilla extract and flour and mix until a soft dough forms. Do not over beat.
- With your hands, press half of the dough into the greased pan. Wrap the remaining dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate until needed. Bake the bottom crust for 12 minutes, until puffy and just starting to color. It will not look done.
- Allow the base to cool for 15 minutes. Once cooled, spread the Cookie Butter over the base.
- With your hands, crumble the remaining dough over the top of the Cookie Butter layer, covering the entire pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until puffy, lightly golden and slightly firm to the touch.
- Allow to cool and then chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours or overnight before removing from pan.
- Use the parchment handles to lift the whole piece for easier slicing on a wood board. Slice into 12-16 bars. Best served chilled.