Broccoli Cheddar Bites are hot, cheesy bites of chopped broccoli and totally addictive! These are wonderful for kids and a healthy side snack for adults. Baking them in a mini-muffin pan makes them the perfect bite-size. If you want to make them gluten-free, use cooked rice in lieu of the breadcrumbs.
I paired these with Cheesy Cauliflower Parmesan Tots for a delightful and flavorful way to add more vegetables to your meal planning.
Broccoli & Cheddar Bites
- 1 large bunch of broccoli
- 1/2 onion diced fine
- ¾ cup panko breadcrumbs
- ¾ cup breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups cheddar cheese grated
- Baking spray for mini muffin pan
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Bring large pot of water to a gentle boil. Add the broccoli and cook for 3-4 minutes or until the broccoli is barely fork tender. The color should be bright green. Do not overcook. Remove the broccoli and place on paper towels to drain and cool. Pat with more paper towels to thoroughly dry.
- Chop the broccoli into fine pieces. If they are too big the bites will not hold together. You should end up with a heaping 3 cups of chopped, cooked broccoli.
- In a large bowl, add the broccoli, onion, breadcrumbs, eggs, salt and pepper and mix to combine. Add the cheddar cheese and gently stir in until everything together is well mixed.
- Spray the inside of each mini-muffin cup with baking spray.
- With your hands, scoop a small palmful of broccoli mixture and squeeze together to make a packed blob. Push the blob into the mini-muffin cup. You should have enough to just come over the top.
- Bake for 22 minutes in preheated oven or until the cheese starts to crisp and get golden.
- Let sit in pan for 5 minutes. Use a butter knife to easily remove each Broccoli Bite from the pan.
- Serve immediately.
- To reheat, they are best crisped in the oven for 5-7 minutes.