Broccolini is a beloved Italian vegetable, healthy and a perfect accompaniment to sweet tomato based sauces. I always get rave reviews on this easy veggie side dish. The beautiful green color is from the fast saute over high heat with a touch of lemon juice and water. If you have it, use pasta water. Broccolini has a thinner stalk, more leafy florets, and edible yellow flowers. This is what they look like fresh and trimmed. Standard Broccoli or Broccoli Rabe (sometime called Rapini) can also be substituted.
Broccolini with Garlic and Lemon
- 1 TB olive oil
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- ½ tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 bunch broccolini ends trimmed
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- ½ lemon
- 2 TB water
- Place garlic and oil in a cold saute pan. Bring to a medium-high heat. The cold start allows the garlic to flavor the oil. When the garlic starts to brown remove it and save.
- Add the broccolini, salt and red pepper. Saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Add juice from lemon and water. Cover with a lid and cook another 3-5 minutes until bright green and just tender. Add the browned garlic and stir.
- Can be served hot or at room temperature.