This is the essential Sicilian sweet - served for breakfast or after dinner. Sweetened ricotta cheese creamed to a perfect silkiness and richness, and lovingly placed inside crunchy, flaky cannoli shells. The ends are dipped in mini chocolate chips or crushed pistachios. These are best to eat right after filling the shells to get that essential balance of creamy and crunchy. I love cannoli with my morning coffee or an espresso. Cannoli are mandatory for our Christmas Eve sweet table. In this recipe I will show you two secrets to perfect cannoli - draining the ricotta and creaming through a fine mesh sieve. Use store-bought cannoli shells to make it easy. Watch the video to see how I do it. Enjoy!
Cannoli with Chocolate Chips and Pistachios
- 2 lbs fresh ricotta cheese strained overnight
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- ¼ cup crushed pistachios
- 12 cannoli shells homemade or store-bought
- Scrape the drained ricotta cheese trough a fine-mesh strainer into a large bowl.
- Fold in the powdered sugar and vanilla. Mix ¾ cup of mini chocolate chips.
- Using a pastry bag, or a large zip-lock back with one end snipped off, pipe the ricotta filling into each end of a cannoli shell. Repeat until all shells are filled.
- Dip ends in crushed pistachio nuts or mini- chocolate chips.
- Dust with powdered sugar and serve immediately!