Classic Tiramisu is my husband's favorite dessert. Tiramisu is easy to assemble and does not require any baking. Why not make it for the Oscars! It is the perfect sweet treat to savor while you gossip, tweet and giggle during the show. Enjoy Tiramisu with an espresso so you can stay up for the three-hour long event. Win-win!
This recipe is based on one from my friend Debbie, another Sicilian and fantastic cook. In this version, I made it three layers instead of two, made one layer with chocolate ladyfingers, and I used shaved chocolate on top instead of sifted cocoa powder. The ladyfingers are soaked in equal parts of Kahlua liqueur and shots of espresso. A three layer tiramisu should sit in the fridge overnight to get that perfect balance. Another trick is to place a paper towel directly on the top layer of the cheese filling and then wrap in plastic wrap to store in the fridge. The paper towel absorbs the condensation and gives it a better texture. It is acceptable to serve Tiramisu scooped out or, like the picture above, cut in squares.
If you have never made Tiramisu, give it a try and let me know what you think!
Cara's Classic Tiramisu
- 12 ounces 4 shots strong coffee/espresso (OK to use instant espresso mixed with hot water)
- 1 ½ cups Kahlua liqueor
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- 16 ounces mascarpone cheese room temperature
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 2 pints heavy whipping cream chilled
- 2 packages of ladyfingers add chocolate ladyfingers if you can find them
- Shaved dark chocolate for garnish
- Mix espresso, Kahlua, and vanilla in a shallow dish. Let cool before adding to cheese.
- Whip the heavy cream in a standing mixer with whisk attachment on high until cream reaches semi-stiff peaks. Transfer whipped cream to another bowl.
- In standing mixer bowl (no need to clean it), beat mascarpone cheese with powdered sugar until smooth. Add 4 tablespoons of cooled espresso mixture and mix well. Gently fold in the whipped cream into the cheese mixture by hand until well incorporated.
- Dip the rounded half of each ladyfinger in the coffee mixture and place in a single layer in a 9 X 13 X 4 glass pan. (This is a deep pan enough to hold three layers). You can break ladyfingers in half to fill in corners if needed. Put half of the filling over that and spread evenly. Dip another layer of ladyfingers into coffee and place over the cheese layer with the coffee side up. Use the rest of the filling to create the top layer, and smooth out the top. Cover the top layer with one layer of paper towels (to collect condensation) and cover with a lid or saran wrap. Refrigerate for at least 6 hours, or overnight.
- Note: Depending on the pan depth, you can also do this in 3 layers, just use more ladyfingers.
- When ready to serve, remove paper towel. Garnish with shaved chocolate. Serve family-style by scooping out portions with a large serving spoon, or cut into squares. Serve with coffee.
Hi...want to make this for working men. Can I leave out or substitute the Kahlua?
I like that you don't use raw eggs, neither do I. Great idea for Oscar night!