A Classic Wedge Salad with Homemade Buttermilk Blue Cheese Dressing is delicious and can dress up any meal. It is a simple salad to throw together, and very satisfying to eat. With all simple recipes, the quality of each ingredient matters. Use the best grape tomatoes and a killer homemade dressing.
The most time-consuming part is making the bacon. I always cook bacon in the oven. With a little planning you can cook up a pound of bacon to use in different dishes. Once pound of crispy bacon will make enough for garnish on Classic Wedge Salad, crumbled bits for Loaded Cheesy Crockpot Mashed Potatoes, and a couple of slices for breakfast. Cooked bacon doesn’t last long in our house.
Of course you can use any store-bought dressing for a delicious salad, but I believe once you make this homemade Buttermilk Blue Cheese Dressing you will never buy this dressing again. Save the leftover for a dip for celery and carrot sticks, and serve with Oven Fried Buffalo Wings.
Classic Wedge Salad with Homemade Buttermilk Blue Cheese Dressing
- ½ cup 4 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
- ½ cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 head iceberg lettuce trimmed and quartered with core to hold wedges together
- 1 cup grape tomatoes quartered
- 6 slices crispy bacon crumbled in ½ inch pieces
- ½ cup croutons store-bought or homemade
- 2 green onions trimmed and sliced with green tops
- Mix the mayonnaise, sour cream, buttermilk, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a small bowl with a whisk until smooth. Add the crumbled blue cheese, and mix again, smooshing the blue cheese to break it up even more. Cover with plastic wrap and store in refrigerator until ready to dress the salad. For a thicker dressing to be used as a dip, an option is to place all ingredients in a food processor and pulse until the desired consistency.
- To plate, place one wedge of lettuce on a plate. Spoon ½ cup of chilled Blue Cheese Buttermilk dressing over lettuce. Sprinkle tomato, bacon bits, green onion and croutons over the dressing.
- Serve immediately.