My Irish Colcannon recipe – Mashed Potatoes with Kale and Bacon – is killer! Traditional Colcannon is mashed potatoes and cooked green cabbage. However I love the combination of slightly cooked chopped kale and crumbled bacon with mashed potatoes. It feels healthy and satisfying at the same time.
We love Bob Evan’s Original Mashed Potatoes! I just cannot make mashed potatoes as good or as easy at home. I am not being compensated by the Bob Evans brand for this recommendation. I just think their product is the best tasting and best texture for a microwaveable mashed potato. My husband Tom loves them, and I always keep a couple of containers in the fridge for a quick side for him for dinner.
So adding the cooked kale and bacon to the Bob Evan’s Mashed Potatoes was a snap and made my St Patrick’s Day dinner of Irish Steak, Guinness Stout, Mushroom, & Cheddar Cheese Pie, Colcannon with Kale and Bacon, and Irish Brown Bread a huge success!
Colcannon: Mashed Potatoes with Kale & Bacon
- 2 24 ounce packages of Bob Evan’s Original Mashed Potatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small bunch kale chopped
- 3 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- Cook the mashed potatoes in the microwave according to instructions on the package. Transfer potatoes to a warm serving bowl.
- Heat the butter in a skillet on the stove top, and saute the kale and green onions until slightly wilted but still have their bright green color.
- Mix the cooked kale & onions, and the crumbled bacon into the mashed potatoes. No additional seasoning is needed.
- Garnish with a pat of butter in the center and let melt.