Linguini with Clams and Mussels in a Spicy Red Sauce is a great Italian pasta anytime of the year. My Mom usually served Linguini with White Clam Sauce at Christmas Eve. I thought this version with clams and mussels would be a great option if your family likes their seafood pasta spicier and with a red tomato base. Either way Linguini with Clams is a quick and delicious dish.
Feast of the Seven Fishes: Linguini with Clams and Mussels in a Spicy Red Sauce (Day Five)
- 1 pound linguini
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- whole head of garlic peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes or to taste
- 1 teaspoon black pepper freshly ground (or to taste)
- 1 cup white wine Pinot Grigio
- 28 ounce can San Marzano tomatoes crushed
- 1 dozen littleneck fresh clams scrubbed and checked they are tightly closed
- 1 dozen fresh mussels. scrubbed and checked they are tightly closed -Note: Keep fresh clams and mussels in cold water with ice on top in the fridge until ready to cook.
- 1 8 oz bottle clam juice if needed
Bring large stock pot with water and salt to a boil. Keep simmering while making the sauce.
In a large skillet with a lid, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add onion and saute for 5 minutes until soft. Add garlic, black and red pepper and oregano and saute for 1-2 minutes until fragrant. Add wine, bay leaf and tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Add fresh clams and mussels, stir and cover with lid.
Add the linguine to the boiling water at this point. Be sure to cook the linguini al a dente (about 2 minutes short of done).
Simmer the clams and mussels while the linguine is cooking. The clams and mussels will be done when they have opened - about 2-5 minutes. Remove the cooked clams and mussels to a large warm bowl. Toss any that do not open.
Transfer the cooked linguini right from the pasta pot to the skillet. Combine the pasta and sauce thoroughly. If there is not enough sauce, add the clam broth at this point. Continue cooking over low heat for 2 minutes. Serve immediately with the shellfish. Either arrange in a big platter or individual serving bowls.
Garnish with parsley and lemon wedges.