Green Circle Chicken from D’Artagnan is the BEST tasting chicken on the planet according to the New York Times, and are found on the menu at some of the best restaurants in the world. Green Circle chickens are raised exclusively for D’Artagnan at an Amish Farm in Pennsylvania where they roam free and live on high quality vegetables and food trimmings. These are pampered birds! I had to try one for myself to see what all the fuss was about. My verdict after roasting a whole bird was an enthusiastic thumbs up! They are plump, juicy, and clean tasting. Yes, they are worth every penny for a special Sunday Supper!
I was thrilled to find Green Circle Chicken at our local Heinens grocery store. You can also buy them online at D’Artagnan in packs of six. They freeze well and are wonderful to have on hand when you want a nice dinner for company. Click here to order.
I went with a simple recipe – roasted whole chicken with lemon, parsley, scallion, garlic, olive oil, salt & pepper. Truss with some butcher’s string and rub the skin with olive oil, S&P. Insert a meat thermometer in the thigh and roast for one hour at 450F to a perfect 160 degrees. The recipe is so easy and fool-proof. The skin gets crispy and the meat is juicy and perfectly cooked.
The best part was that the leftover chicken meat stayed moist and full of flavor – and was outstanding the next day! I had a a wonderful chicken and avocado sandwich on toast for lunch!
Green Circle Roasted Chicken
- 1 3 - 4 pound Green Circle whole chicken
- 1 large green scallion washed and trimmed
- 6 lemon slices
- 3 cloves garlic peeled and chopped
- small handful fresh parsley
- Kosher salt
- Fresh black pepper
- Olive oil
- Preheat oven to 450F degrees. Remove neck and giblets from the chicken cavity. Pat chicken dry with paper towels.
- Generously season, inside and out, with coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Insert green onion, garlic cloves, parsley, and half of the lemon slices into the cavity.
- Truss chicken with butcher's string. Rub olive oil over the skin and sprinkle all over with more salt & pepper.
- Place on a rack in heavy roasting pan. Add 2 cups water to bottom of pan to prevent smoking.
- Roast for about 1 hour, or until chicken is golden brown and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the meat registers 160 degrees F.
- Remove chicken from the oven and allow to rest on a cutting board for about 10 minutes.