Green Split Pea, Potato and Spinach Patties are healthy and delicious! These are gluten free, high in protein and loaded with fiber! The spinach adds extra Vitamin E and antioxidants. Frying gives them a nice crunch on the outside. Serve plain with a wedge of lemon and a dollop of your favorite hummus or yogurt. You can also serve them hot on naan bread or a wrap with shredded cabbage and onion for a great sandwich.
I've seasoned these with an Indian spice called Garam Masala that is a wonderful combination of cardamon, coriander, clove, cumin, ginger, red pepper, black pepper, and nutmeg. You can also make them less spicy with a simple spice combo of salt, pepper, and ground cumin.
The key ingredients are simple - dried green split peas, gold potatoes, fresh spinach and garbanzo bean (chickpea) flour. You can learn more about the benefits of pea protein here if interested in further reading.
The step-by-step recipe and guide follows:
Fried Green Split Pea, Potato and Spinach Patties
- 16 ounces green split peas
- 8 cups cold water
- 4 small gold potatoes peeled and diced
- 5 ounces fresh spinach
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons garbanzo bean chickpea flour
- ¼ cup red onion minced
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes or to taste
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon Garam Marsala optional for Indian flavor component
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- In a large saucepan on the stovetop over high heat, add the split peas and water, cover and bring to a boil. Uncover and skim off any foam. Reduce the heat to medium high and cook for 25-30 minutes until split peas are soft but not mushy. Add the diced potatoes to the boiling water after 15 minutes and cook until soft. The peas and potatoes should be done about the same time. Remove them with a slotted spoon and transfer to a large bowl to cool.
- Add the spinach to the boiled water and blanche for 2 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and and drain the spinach on several layers of paper towels. Further drain by squeezing the water out of the spinach in the paper towels Chop the drained spinach into bite-size pieces.
- When cooled, mash the peas and potatoes together with a potato masher. Add spinach, garbanzo bean flour, diced onion, and all the spices to the mash. Mix all to combine well.
- Form ½ - ¾ inch thick patties with a palmful (approx ½ cup) of the mix. You should get about 12 patties.
- Heat 1 tablespoon canola oil and 1 tablespoon butter in a non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Fry patties in batches until golden and crispy on both sides. Add more oil and butter with each batch.
- Serve with your favorite hummus or yogurt and a lemon wedge.