It always feel like a party when we make Grilled Pizza on the outdoor BBQ. This version is the quick and easy way. I used store-bought pizza dough. The pizza stone is heated on the grill for 45 minutes at 500F. While the stone is heating, roll out the dough and assemble with your favorite toppings. Once the pizza goes on, the cooking time is 5 – 7 minutes. It is easy to makes several pizzas with custom toppings to please a crowd. Be sure to watch the video on how to assemble and use a pizza peel to grill. Don’t miss the end where I use a machete to cut the pizza; for professionals only.
Grilled Pizza with Fresh Mozzarella, Garlic and Pepperoni
- 2 Tb cornmeal
- ½ cup AP all-purpose flour
- 1 lb. pizza dough for 14 inch pizza, at room temperature
- 1 TB extra virgin olive oil
- ½ lb. fresh mozzarella sliced ½ inch thick
- ¼ lb. fresh pepperoni sliced ¼ inch thick
- 1-2 cloves garlic sliced
- Black & red pepper flakes to taste
- 1 tsp. oregano or Italian seasoning
- 6 basil leaves torn in smaller pieces
- Place a large pizza stone on the outdoor grill on top of the grates. Heat the grill to 500F. It may take 45-60 minutes for the pizza stone to get smoking hot.
- Liberally dust a wooden pizza peel with cornmeal.
- Coat your hands and rolling pin with flour. On a floured board, roll out the dough to a 14 inch circle. Be sure to use enough flour so the dough is not sticky. Place on the pizza peel.
- Brush olive oil first on the fresh dough. Arrange mozzarella cheese and pepperoni on the dough, followed by garlic slices, seasonings and basil. (Note: Make the topping your own. Sliced tomatoes, black / green olives, onions, sliced mushrooms and spinach are some of our family favorites).
- Slide the pizza off the peel onto the hot stone, using a wiggle and slide technique.
- Cover the grill and cook for 5 minutes. Check and continue to cook a few more minutes until the bottom crust is brown and hollow sounding. The cheese on top should be melted.
- Use a metal pizza peel to remove the pizza from the stone and place on a cutting board. Cut into 8 pieces with a pizza cutter. Serve immediately.