Italian Sausage, Clam and Potato Chowder highlights the classic pairing of pork and clams in a rich potato chowder for the ultimate comfort food. I like this type of chowder chunky, savory, & buttery. The addition of Italian sausage adds a depth of flavor that makes the dish very satisfying. The broth is rich and thickened only with natural starch in the potatoes.
Its fast and easy to make. Just brown the sausage, onions, and celery in large dutch oven on the stovetop.
Add canned clams, clam juice, potatoes, chicken stock and milk, bring to a boil, then simmer until the potatoes are tender.
The final step is to add the heavy cream and adjust seasoning, and simmer another 5 -10 minutes. Serve with Saltine Crackers for a wonderful lunch.
Clam, Italian Sausage and Potato Chowder
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion diced
- 4 stalks celery diced
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 4 medium Russet potatoes peeled and cubed
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 6.5 ounce cans chopped clams in juice
- 1 8 ounce bottle 100% natural clam juice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon Louisiana Hot Sauce optional or to taste
- Crumble Italian sausage in large dutch oven over medium high heat. Cook until golden brown.
- Add the butter, onions, & celery and cook until translucent.
- Add the pepper, thyme, potatoes, chicken stock, milk, canned clams, clam juice and bay leaf. Bring to a boil and then lower to a simmer for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Add the heavy cream, and hot sauce to taste. Simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately with saltine crackers on the side.