When it comes to S’mores, MORE is better! So I had to make JUMBO size S’More Brownies. These are amazing AND messy to eat, the way a campfire S’more should be. Moms, fair warning to put a bib on your kids and keep their sticky fingers away from the good furniture.
Jumbo S’Mores Brownies are easy to make if you use a box brownie mix.
Here is the step-by-step guide:
Prepare a 9 x 13 baking pan with parchment paper, leaving enough overhang for handles. This makes lifting the bar a breeze at the end.
Make the graham cracker crust with graham cracker crumbs, sugar and butter. It works best to press the crumbs firmly in place with a mallet, or the bottom of a water glass. The crust will hold together better. Bake for 12 minutes at 350 degrees.
Make the brownie layer next. One secret is to use 2 boxes of Ghirardelli Triple Chocolate Brownie Mix for the best thick and delish brownies. (It’s cheaper to buy the 6-pack at Costco). Pour the brownie batter over the cooled crust and bake for 55 minutes at 325 degrees or until the center is just cooked.
While the brownies are still warm, top with a layer of jumbo marshmallows.
You can use regular size marshmallows but the Jumbo ones are more gooey and fun!
Bake for 5 minutes or until the marshmallows start to puff and get soft. Turn on the broiler for 1 – 2 minutes and watch them CLOSELY!! They can burn in a flash. Take them out right away when they hit a nice golden toasted color.
Let the Jumbo S’mores Brownies cool for at least an hour to set. Using the handles of the parchment gently lift the whole slab out of the pan and rest on a cutting board.
The tricky part is cutting the brownie slab with the gooey marshmallow topping. The secret is to run a serrated knife under very hot water after each cut. They will still be messy and sticky, but hey, that is what makes S’mores so good!
Jumbo S’Mores Brownies
- 2 18 ounce boxes/pouches Triple Chocolate Ghirardelli brownie mix ( plus eggs, water and canola oil for mix)
- 1 ¾ cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1 stick ½ cup butter, just melted (not bubbling)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 24 Jumbo Marshmallows
Make the graham cracker crust
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9 X 13 baking with parchment paper, leaving enough overhand to create handles. This is important to make lifting the completed S’more Brownies out of the pan at the end. Combine the graham cracker crumbs, sugar and melted butter in a medium size bowl. Gently mix with a fork to create a wet crumb mixture. Transfer the crumb mixture to the prepared baking dish. Using the bottom of a water glass or kitchen mallet, press the crumb mixture firmly into the bottom of the dish. Bake the crumb crust at 350° F for 12 - 14 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for 15 minutes. Turn the oven down to 325 degrees.
Make the brownie layer
- In a large bowl with a hand mixer, miix 2 pouches of brownie box mix according to directions on the package. The Ghirardelli Triple Chocolate Brownie Mix required 2 eggs plus canola oil and water. Transfer the brownie batter to the baking pan, evenly covering the graham cracker crust. Bake the brownies for 50 -55 minutes at 325 degrees or until the center comes out clean when tested with a cake tester. Remove from oven. Leave oven on at 325 degrees.
Make the marshmallow layer
- While the brownies are still warm, line 24 jumbo-size marshmallows on top of the brownie layer. Place the pan back in the oven for 5 minutes or until the marshmallows are soft and puffed up. Turn on the broiler, and broil the tops until toasted and golden brown. It is critical to monitor this step closely so they do not burn! Immediately remove the pan from the oven.
Slice the Brownies
- Allow the S’more Brownies to cool for at least an hour.Using the handles of the parchment, lift the brownie slab out of the pan and place on a cutting board. Using a large serrated knife, cut the brownies into 24 bars. The marshmallow layer will be very sticky. Run the knife under very hot tap water after each cut to make it easier.Store in an airtight container.