Starting your day with Bianca’s Sunny Day Lemon & Blueberry Muffins will make you want to jump up and sing “Don’t Worry, Be happy”. The zing of lemon zest with warm cinnamon sugar makes these blueberry muffins something really special. Bianca is my sister Marisa’s daughter. They bake together all the time, and I love it when they get creative.
Lemon & Blueberry Muffins are easy to make and are ready to serve in under 45 minutes. Brighten your day and serve these for Easter brunch or a tea party.
Recipe adapted from Elizabeth Alston’s cookbook called Muffins.
Bianca's Sunny Day Lemon & Blueberry Muffins
- 1/2 cup butter ( 1 stick)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups fresh blueberries reserve 1/2 cup for mashing
- 1 lemon (for zest and juicing)
- 2 cups AP flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons cinnamon sugar (or make your own)
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray muffin pan with baking spray and line with paper muffin cups. Recipe yields 12 large-size muffins or 16 regular-size muffins
- In a medium-size bowl, beat butter until creamy using a hand beater. Add the sugar and beat until pale and creamy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating until incorporated. Add vanilla and beat until mixed in.
- WIth a zesting tool, zest the whole lemon and set the lemon zest aside. Cut the lemon in half and squeeze the juice through a strainer into a small bowl.
- In a small bowl, take 1/2 cup of reserved berries and mash with a fork. Add the lemon zest and lemon juice to the blueberries. Using a spatula, gently fold the lemon/blueberry mixture into the batter.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, salt and baking powder. Whisk until mixed. With a spatula, gently fold in half of the flour mixture into the batter, then add half the milk and mix. Add remaining flour and milk and mix again until well incorporated. Gently fold in remaining whole blueberries until evenly mixed throughout the batter.
- Using a large cookie scoop, transfer the batter into muffin cups. Sprinkle each muffin liberally with cinnamon sugar.
- Bake for approximately 28 minutes, or until light golden brown. Let muffins cool approximately 20 minutes before removing from the pan. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container.