Baked Sweet Potato & Black Bean Veggie Burgers are my go-to healthy burger. These are fantastic for three reasons: taste, ease and nutrition. This particular combination of ingredients are delicious. The flavor, texture and “glue” comes from the baked sweet potato and mashed black beans. I love the crunch of the sunflower seeds, and the kick of cumin and cayenne pepper. The perfect compliment to a veggie burger is a Yogurt Tahini Sauce with Lemon and a side of sliced crunchy cucumbers. No bread is needed for this veggie burger but if desired, serve it with a whole-grain pita pocket. When you have a taste for a great veggie burger that is loaded with both protein and healthy complex-carbs, this is the one! They are easy to make to make, and freeze well.
Sweet Potato & Black Bean Veggie Burger
Yield 8 patties
Sweet Potato & Black Bean Veggie Burgers are fantastic for three reasons: taste, ease and nutrition. This particular combination of ingredients are delicious. The flavor, texture and “glue” comes from the baked sweet potato and mashed black beans. The perfect compliment to the burger is a Yogurt Tahini Sauce with Lemon and a side of sliced crunchy cucumbers.
- 1 large sweet potato or 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, drained
- 1 cup oatmeal
- ½ cup minced red onion
- ¾ cup grated carrot (roughly 3 carrots)
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds, raw or roasted
- ½ cup frozen corn kernels, thawed (optional)
- ¼ cup cilantro, minced
- 2 tablespoons flax, hemp or chia seeds (or a mixture as desired)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon worchestire sauce
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon red cayenne pepper
- Yogurt Tahini Sauce with Lemon
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper to taste
- Bake the sweet potato in the oven at 375 degrees for 60 minutes. Cut open and let cool in the jacket.
- Mash the drained beans with a fork or potato masher until chunky and sticky.
- Add the cooked sweet potato flesh to the beans and mix well with a fork.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the bowl and mix well so all are incorporated evenly throughout.
- Form a palm-size patty with your hands and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone mat. The veggie mixture will easily hold together. Make 6 - 8 patties about 1 ½ inches thick.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Carefully remove the patty with a spatula.
- Make the yogurt sauce while the patties are baking. Whisk all the ingredients together in a small bowl and chill.
- Serve with Yogurt Tahini Sauce and sliced cucumbers,
- Reheats easily in a non-stick pan or in the oven. Freezes well too.