Baked Sweet Potato & Black Bean Veggie Burgers are my go-to healthy burger. These are fantastic for three reasons: taste, ease and nutrition. This particular combination of ingredients are delicious. The flavor, texture and “glue” comes from the baked sweet potato and mashed black beans. I love the crunch of the sunflower seeds, and the kick of cumin and cayenne pepper. The perfect compliment to a veggie burger is a Yogurt Tahini Sauce with Lemon and a side of sliced crunchy cucumbers. No bread is needed for this veggie burger but if desired, serve it with a whole-grain pita pocket. When you have a taste for a great veggie burger that is loaded with both protein and healthy complex-carbs, this is the one! They are easy to make to make, and freeze well.
Sweet Potato & Black Bean Veggie Burger
- 1 large sweet potato or 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 15 ounce can black beans drained
- 1 cup oatmeal
- ½ cup minced red onion
- ¾ cup grated carrot roughly 3 carrots
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds raw or roasted
- ½ cup frozen corn kernels thawed (optional)
- ¼ cup cilantro minced
- 2 tablespoons flax hemp or chia seeds (or a mixture as desired)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon worchestire sauce
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon red cayenne pepper
Yogurt Tahini Sauce with Lemon
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Salt pepper, and cayenne pepper to taste
- Bake the sweet potato in the oven at 375 degrees for 60 minutes. Cut open and let cool in the jacket.
- Mash the drained beans with a fork or potato masher until chunky and sticky.
- Add the cooked sweet potato flesh to the beans and mix well with a fork.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the bowl and mix well so all are incorporated evenly throughout.
- Form a palm-size patty with your hands and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone mat. The veggie mixture will easily hold together. Make 6 - 8 patties about 1 ½ inches thick.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Carefully remove the patty with a spatula.
- Make the yogurt sauce while the patties are baking. Whisk all the ingredients together in a small bowl and chill.
- Serve with Yogurt Tahini Sauce and sliced cucumbers,
- Reheats easily in a non-stick pan or in the oven. Freezes well too.