An Italian Caprese Salad is a perfect salad in so many ways. Three perfectly fresh ingredients - tomato, basil, and mozzarella cheese are drizzled with extra-virgin olive oil and kissed with sea salt. The quality of the ingredients is key. A ripe, organic, late summer tomato must be used for maximum taste! These were from Trader Joe's and the taste was as good as the color! Wow. Next use a quality extra-virgin olive oil. In this recipe I used my homemade Basil Oil - extra virgin olive oil infused with basil from my garden. Thanks to my cousin Lois, an accomplished artist, the plate presentation was perfect.
You can make Caprese as a single serving for lunch or on a large platter for a family holiday. Either way, add this salad as part of your regular menu for a healthy and delicious Italian side dish.
Tomato Harvest: Italian Caprese Salad
- 8 oz. fresh mozzarella cheese - sliced ½ inch slices
- 12 fresh basil leaves
- 3 organic ripe Beefsteak or Roma tomatoes, sliced in ½ inch slices
- Sea Salt & Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons Balsamic Glaze optional
- Arrange the tomato slices, mozzarella slices and whole basil leaves on a plate or platter. Drizzle olive oil over arrangement and sprinkle with salt and pepper. You can also drizzle a few drops of a good balsamic vinegar or syrup for extra flavor.
- Serve immediately.