Vietnamese Spring Rolls are easy, delicious and healthy! They are loaded with crunchy, crisp vegetables and sweet cooked shrimp. Add a couple of fresh mint leaves or Thai basil for a wonderful fragrance. They are wrapped like an egg roll with a paper-thin, transparent circle of rice paper called banh trang. The result is a beautiful Vietnamese Spring Roll that is portable, refreshing and delicious! Serve with a spicy Peanut Satay Sauce or Sweet Chili Sauce.
You can purchase the Banh Trang (rice paper wraps) at many grocery stores carry them, or you can get them on Amazon. Vietnamese Spring rolls are a portable, flavor-packed salad that you eat with your fingers for a wonderful summer lunch.
To make the Vietnamese Spring Rolls, get all your ingredients prepped and assembled at a rolling station. Dip the transparent rice paper wraps in hot water a few seconds until soft and lay on a wooden board.
One trick to keep the Spring Roll tight is to lay the vegetables in a soft lettuce leaf and roll up into a tight cigar.
Lay the shrimp and mint leaves on the rice paper. Place the lettuce leaf bundle on top of the shrimp and mint. Roll up the soft rice paper wrap eggroll-style. Fold in the ends. Roll tightly. The wet rice paper will stick and seal easily. Keep chilled until ready to serve with a spicy Peanut Satay Sauce on the side.
Special thanks to photographer Sally Roeckell at Table and Dish for the beautiful pictures.
Vietnamese Spring Rolls with Shrimp
- 6 sheets Vietnamese Rice Paper - round 8.5 inch
- 2 large carrots julienned
- 1 large cucumber seeded and cut in thin spears
- Small bunch Thai Basil or Mint
- 3 green onions trimmed and sliced in strips
- 6 large cooked shrimp tail removed, halved lengthwise
- 6 butter leaf or green leaf lettuce leaves
- 1 red bell pepper julienned
- Peanut Satay Sauce or Sweet Chili Sauce for dipping
- Start with chilled ingredients. Clean, trim and cut all ingredients. Prepare a rolling station with a wooden board, and all the ingredients easily accessible. Fill a large bowl with very hot tap water for the rice paper wraps. Have a serving platter ready for the finished Spring Rolls.
- Working one at a time, submerge rice paper into hot water for a few seconds, or until it is just starting to soften. Don't soak it for too long or it'll tear to bits. Lay flat on the wooden board to assemble.
- Place two shrimp halfs and 2 mint leaves across the center of the rice paper
- Place a lettuce leaf on top of the shrimp. Fill with small amounts of other vegetables. Roll the lettuce leaf tight like a cigar . Do not overfill the rolls as it will make it hard to roll up.
- Roll rice paper roll up, egg-roll style: roll bottom side of the rice paper up, fold the side in, and roll the bundle up tightly until closed. The wet rice paper will stick and seal easily.
- Rice paper rolls are best eaten fresh. Serve with Peanut Satay Sauce on the side.