Yellow Mustard Coleslaw is the perfect sweet, tangy, crispy coleslaw to accompany BBQ. It is a must have with my BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches! I always get asked for this recipe. I can't take credit for this Yellow Mustard Coleslaw recipe. I found it at BBQ competitor and BBQ blogger The MeatWave. It deserves to be on every BBQ party table. It is a classic American recipe and should be in your repertoire.
Yellow Mustard Coleslaw
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- ⅓ cup yellow mustard
- ⅓ cup cider vinegar
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1 large head green cabbage
- 3 large carrots peeled
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup kosher salt
- Whisk together mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar, sugar, hot sauce, and celery seeds in small bowl. Refrigerate until ready to dress the slaw.
- Using the shred blade of a food processor, feed chunks of green cabbage through the tube until all cabbage is shredded. (Note: You can also shred by hand with a sharp knife).
- Using a box grater, grate the carrots using the large holes of the grate. This gives the correct size carrots that you need for a crunchy coleslaw. (Note: The shred blade of the food processor results in too thin/small shreds).
- Combine cabbage and carrot in a large bowl. Sprinkle with sugar and salt and toss to combine. Let stand five minutes, then transfer to a large colander and rinse thoroughly under cold running water.
- Transfer vegetables to a salad spinner and spin dry. Alternatively, transfer to a large rimmed baking sheet lined with a triple layer of paper towels or a clean kitchen towel and blot mixture dry with more towels. Return to large bowl.
- Pour dressing over vegetables and toss to coat. Adjust seasoning to taste with salt, pepper, and/or sugar.
- Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.