This recipe uses zucchini slices and fills them with a rich and creamy ricotta cheese filling and a whole artichoke heart. The combination is divine. Not only is this dish low-carb, healthy and light, but loved by kids and adult alike. Next time you are looking for another way to use up your zucchini harvest, or just a simple meal for Meatless Monday, Rollatini should be your go-to. You can get creative and make rollatini with eggplant, and stuffed with other vegetables or even ground turkey meat. This recipe does not include any fresh herbs, but if you have them on hand, it will always be a welcome addition.
Zucchini Rollatini with Artichoke Ricotta Cheese Filling
Yield 4 -6
Zucchini Rollatini with Artichoke Ricotta Cheese Filling is healthy, light and scrumptious. Bake the rolled up bundles with some store bought Marinara sauce and top with grated Parmesan Cheese. Kids and adults will enjoy this Italian casserole. It also freezes well.
- 2 large fresh zucchini
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 15 ounce tub ricotta cheese, part-skim
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese plus ¼ cup for top
- 1 14 ounce can whole artichoke hearts packed in water, drained and dried.
- 1 24 ounce jar Marinara Sauce
- Trim ends off zucchini and slice lengthwise in ¼ inch slices.
- Brush olive oil on both sides of each zucchini slice.
- On a stovetop grill pan, grill each slice on both sides until soft and pliable. Work in batches so not to overcrowd the grill pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, egg, black pepper and ½ cup parmesan cheese. Mix well to make a smooth filling.
- Place 2 or 3 ladles of marinara sauce in the bottom on a 13 x 9 glass or enamel baking dish.
- Place two heaping tablespoons of filling on a grilled zucchini slice and top with a whole artichoke heart. Roll up
- and place seam-side down on the marinara sauce. Continue rolling up the zucchini until the baking plan is full.
- Top with ¼ parmesan cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes in 350 degree oven.
- Serve with warmed marinara sauce and more grated cheese.