Sometimes I like a lighter meatball, and this one is perfect. The secret I learned from my cousin Rose in Sicily is to add a pinch of baking powder to the meatball. It gives them a lift and lightness. Thank you Rose! I am still trying to figure out how to keep my meatballs round when frying. They usually turn into triangles. Comment if you have any tips!
These are very good cold on a sandwich the next day for lunch.
Chicken Pecorino Meatballs
- 1 ½ lbs ground white chicken meat
- 1 egg
- 2 TB olive oil
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¾ cup grated pecorino
- 1 TB salt
- ½ TB black pepper
- pinch red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup minced flat parsley
- 2 TB olive oil for frying
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl with your hands.
- Form palm size meatballs.
- Fry them in batches in a saute pan in olive oil until all sides are brown.
- Finish in oven at 325F for 10-12 minutes or until cooked through.
- They are great just like this, or you can add them to a tomato-based sauce.