Key Lime Pie Bars are easy to make and easy to eat. These have a twist with ground pecans and cinnamon in the crust for an extra depth of flavor. I like a 50/50 ratio of buttery graham cracker crust to tart and sweet key lime pie filling. Use an 8 x 8 pan baking pan for the perfect balance. These must be served very chilled. Adding homemade whipped cream or even a meringue is optional. I usually can’t wait that long to eat them.
Key limes are very small and take some effort to squeeze enough fresh juice for a pie recipe. Standard limes just do not have the same flavor. I highly recommend Nelly & Joes’ Famous Key West Lime Juice in the bottle for these Key Lime Pie Bars. It can be purchased at most grocery stores or online.
If you love baking and Key Lime Pie, check out this masterpiece that my sister-in-law brought to Easter brunch. It is three layers and and out of this world! She added a pistachio garnish on top of the meringue for perfection. The recipe was found on Pinterest from food blogger The SugarSandbox.com. All you need is a large spring form pan, a ton of eggs, sour cream, cream cheese, condensed milk, key lime juice and time. It was worth it!
Here is the recipe for the quick and easy Key Lime Pie Bars with Pecan and Cinnamon Crust.
Key Lime Pie Bars with Pecan Cinnamon Crust
- 1 2/3 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/3 cup ground pecans
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup 1 stick butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
- 3/4 cup Nellie & Joe’s Key West Lime Juice™ juice
- 3 extra large egg yolks
- 1 can 14 ounce sweetened condensed milk
- Whipped cream optional for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- For the crust: In a small bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs, pecans, sugar and cinnamon. Add the melted butter and blend well. Press onto the bottom of an greased 8 x 8 pan. (This size pan is best for balance of crust to filling).
- Bake for 10 minutes or until crust is lightly browned. Remove from oven and set aside to cool. The crust can be made ahead of time.
- For the filling: Put the egg yolks in a large mixing bowl and beat with a hand mixer for 2 minutes until creamy. Add in condensed milk, lime zest, lime juice, and whisk on high for three minutes until until smooth and thick. Pour mixture into the cooled crust and bake for 15 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Remove from oven and let cool for about 30 minutes. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 3 hours. Overnight is best.
- When very chilled, slice into bars and garnish with whipped cream when ready to serve.