Loaded Cheesy Crockpot Mashed Potatoes are perfect for a party and large crowds. They are loaded with cream cheese, cheddar cheese and bacon! Make them ahead of time. They will stay warm in the crockpot, and will not use up precious space on your stovetop when making lots of food. The potatoes cook in about 4 hours. Mash them right in the crockpot to your desired texture – chunky or smooth. This is comfort food at its best!
My husband devours mashed potatoes on a regular basis. He is definitely a meat and potato guy. To be honest, I keep store-bought packages of Bob Evans Original Mashed Potatoes on hand for quick meals. I have written about that before, and highly recommend them. BUT….when he tasted these Loaded Cheesy Crockpot Mashed Potatoes I knew I finally hit a home run. Since they keep well for leftovers, and heat easily in the microwave, it’s a pleasure to make these for him.
One trick I learned is to scoop mashed potatoes with a ice cream scoop for an attractive presentation. Mounded or scooped they make a great side for my Classic Meatloaf. They are very rich with all the cheese and could be a meal by itself.
Loaded Cheesy Crockpot Mashed Potatoes
- 5 - 6 pounds Russet potatoes peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 stick butter cut in 8 pieces
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 package cream cheese cut in large cubes
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 6 slices bacon cooked crisp and crumbled
- 5 green onions trimmed and sliced
- Place the potato cubes, butter pats, salt, pepper and water in a large crock pot. Cover and put on high for 4 hours. Stir once or twice during the first three hours for even cooking. Don’t worry if you see a few brown spots. Just stir them in.
- After three hours, the potatoes should be very soft. WIth a potato masher, mash the potatoes in the crockpot to the desired level of chunkiness. If you prefer very smooth mashed potatoes you can also use a potato ricer.
- Add the cream cheese, cheddar cheese and sour cream. Mix well to incorporate the cheeses. Cover the lids and let cook on high the remaining hour.
- minute before serving, add the bacon and green onions and mix to incorporate evenly. Test for seasoning and add more salt and/or pepper if needed. Continue cooking until ready to serve.
- Serve immediately or keep on warm for another hour or two.