These are dark, fudgy and delicious. The secret ingredient is “Black Cocoa” – a very dark cocoa powder from King Arthur Flour Co. If you love dark chocolate, or just want to make them for a friend who is having a bad day, these brownies are the best. This recipe is adapted from the one by talented Chef David Lebovitz.
Dark, Dark Salted Chocolate Brownies
- 2 sticks 1 cup salted butter
- 3.5 oz Lindt 74% dark chocolate bar
- 1 cup Hershey's unsweetened natural cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup Black Cocoa King Arthur's brand is great
- 1/2 cup white flour
- 2 teaspoons espresso powder
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 4 room temperature eggs
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 tsp coarse Kosher Salt
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350F.
- Spray an 8X8 inch baking pan with cooking spray. Cut a sheet of parchment paper to fit in the pan leaving enough hanging over two edges to use as handles for easy lifting when the brownies are done.
- Melt the butter is a large glass measuring cup. Melt the chopped chocolate squares in the hot melted. Whisk smooth and let cool.
- Sift dry ingredients together in a bowl
- Whisk eggs and sugar together in a another bowl until smooth.
- Add one half of the egg/sugar mixture to the dry ingredients and stir gently until they start to blend. Be careful not to create a cocoa powder dust storm! That can be a mess to clean up.
- After it is mixed well, slowly add the cooled butter/chocolate mixture, and the rest of the egg/sugar mixture. Since the butter mixture is cooled and the egg mixture tempered the eggs will not cook. Mix by hand until the batter is glossy and luscious looking.
- Add 1/2 cup of dark chocolate chips and mix in. Pour the batter into the baking pan, and smooth out the top. Sprinkle a very light dusting of coarse salt grains on the top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the center is almost set. The most important thing about this recipe is DO NOT OVERBAKE!
- Let the brownies cool completely in the pan.
- When ready, lift out the brownies with the parchment handles and place on a cutting board. Sprinkle the top with powdered sugar. An easy way to do this is to put the powdered sugar is a small strainer and tap the edge with a spoon.
- Slice into 16 squares and serve.