My favorite Italian cook on TV is Mary Ann Esposito, who has produced Ciao Italia for over 25 years. She posted this recipe for Roasted Cauliflower Steak on her Facebook page and I had to try it. My version turned out great! You could also add garlic, herbs and other toppings, but I really like the simplicity and let the cauliflower be the star.
Roasted Cauliflower Steak
- Whole head cauliflower
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Juice from 1 large lemon
- Salt fresh ground black pepper, and red pepper flakes to taste
- Brush a non-stick baking pan with olive oil.
- Heat oven to 400F.
- Cut the cauliflower in thick steaks.
- In a bowl whisk olive oil, lemon juice, and salt and pepper.
- Brush each slice of cauliflower on both sides with the mixture and place each slice in a single layer on the baking sheet.
- Roast for 30 minutes at 400 degrees, then lower the heat to 325 degrees and continue roasting until the cauliflower is fork tender, about another 10-15 minutes.
- Turn once during the baking using 2 large metal spatulas to keep them in tact.
- Served immediately piping hot from the oven.