This delicious pasta dish can be made in under 30 minutes. Par-cook the pasta ahead of time, and prep all your ingredients. Everything is cooked in one skillet, and cooks fast! One of the reasons I love this recipe is because it is flexible. I used what I had in my pantry, freezer and fridge. Make it as spicy as you like, add or subtract vegetables, and improvise based on your favorite combinations. No shrimp - try sausage, pancetta, or just veggie-style. The important ingredient is the sauce so be sure to use lots of olive oil, garlic, wine and pepper.
Watch how to make this quick pasta dish and make it part of your regular dinner rotation.
Quick Shrimp Pasta with Tomatoes and Sweet Peas
- 1 lb bucatini
- 1 tablespoon Kosher salt
- ¼ cup olive oil
- small sweet onion diced
- ½ cup red onion diced (optional)
- 3 cloves fresh garlic
- red and black pepper to taste
- zest and juice of ½ lemon
- 2 lb raw shrimp (21-25 count), deveined, tail removed
- ¼ cup wine white or red
- 5 ripe Roma tomatoes diced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh flat leaf parsley
- In a large stockpot, add water and salt and bring to a boil. Add pasta and cook al dente or slightly undercooked. It will finish cooking in the skillet.
- In a large skillet on the stove over medium high heat, add the olive oil and onions and cook until translucent. Add garlic, red and black peppers, lemon zest and juice, and the shrimp to the pan and cook for 3-5 minutes over high heat, stirring often. The garlic should be golden and the shrimp are pink.
- Remove the shrimp, and set aside.
- Remove the skillet from the flame, and deglaze the pan with wine.
- Put the skillet back on the flame, and add the tomatoes and cook another 5 minutes. Add the shrimp back to the pan and stir. Mix in the peas and cream and heat through. Add the al dente pasta to the pan and mix to coat. Add a little pasta water if too dry. Add parsley.
- Let pasta and sauce cook a few minutes to marry the flavors.
- Pour the contents into a large, warmed pasta bowl.
- Serve immediately.
- Note: Warm the pasta bowl in a 200 degree oven for 10 minutes.