“I’ll slip an extra shrimp on the barbie for you” was first uttered by Aussie movie star Paul Hogan in a tourism commercial in the mid 1980’s and that quote has become synonymous with Australian BBQ shrimp ever since. So Shrimp on the Barbie is a perfectly simple and delicious way to kickoff Formula One starting in Melbourne today. This recipe couldn’t be easier and more delicious.
The succulent shrimp are paired with sweet and spicy Pineapple Fried Brown Rice. Wash down with some Victoria Bitter or Foster’s Beer.
Team Scuderia Ferrari and driver Sebastian Vettel finished second row in the final qualifying rounds. The Mercedes team of Nico Rosenberg and Louis Hamilton got first row. And so it begins. The long F1 season…….
F1 Update: The winner of the Australian Grand Prix is Nico Rosenberg (Mercedes). Louis Hamilton 2nd, and Sebastian Vettel came in third. Fernando Alonso walked away from a horrific crash on lap 19. The other Ferrari in the race caught fire and was eliminated. Unfortunately Vettel’s pit crew botched a tire change and cost him some time. On to Bahrain April 3.
Australia Grand Prix: Shrimp on the Barbie
- 2 pounds raw shrimp 8 - 12 count, deveined, thawed and peeled
- 1 cup coconut milk sweetened
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 3 tablepsoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper or season to taste
- Mix all the ingredients except the shrimp into a glass bowl and combine well. Toss in the shrimp and cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Let marinate in the fridge for at least one hour.
- Carefully place shrimp on skewers for easier handling on the grill.
- Place skewers on a hot grill and cook until pink and caramelized on the outside.
- Serve immediately with lime wedges.